Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A New Focus on Tweens, Teens and Young Adults


Because there is already a lot of information out there about newborns, toddlers and younger children, I'm going to focus more on tweens, teens and young adults. It represents where I am in my life, with two in college and my youngest in high school. It's also a time when the kinds of problems you might encounter with your kids become more serious too.

Whether it's teaching your child to drive a car, helping your kids prepare for college entrance exams or going to bed while they're still out with friends, there are many adjustments we parents must make. As we shift from the caregivers of our young children to the advisors of our teens to the companions of our adult children, we go through many changes. I want you to come to this site to find help in making those necessary adjustments. That said, I will do my best to provide you with meaningful resources and I welcome any comments and suggestions on how to make this site better.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Theresa,
I really appreciate your focus with your blog. It is a much needed resource and I will gladly send my friends your way as a new resource.
Thank you.

Judy
http://www.localfoodconnections.com

Carma Dutra said...

I think you are doing a tremendous job Theresa. The times we live in are difficult for teens and young adults. Parents often are out of the home when they are most needed. I think your blog will be able to supply parents with much needed resources in this day and age.

It can be on what programs are suitable, and in my opinion what kind of message is society sending to our youth. What about parents who show through actions that it is ok to disobey one law but not another. For instance shooting off fireworks.

Not every county, state or town allows legal fireworks and when parents go out of town to purchase and use they send the wrong message.

Carma
http://carmaswindow.blogspot.com

LISA HOLDREN said...

I didn't realize this was your focus. How terrific. You're right, there is very little out there to help with problems that adolescents and young adults face. If you can find info on depression, isolation, learning disabilities, girlfriends and friends.. kids have such hidden agendas sometimes. oh gosh, you could have loads of readers.

Lisa
http://www.peaceandlaughter.blogspot.com

Dorit Sasson said...

Hi, Theresa,

Many with young kids (like me) will also want to know there is a blog to visit down the road when my son will be independent.

How about addressing the need for parents to exercise more patience. The stress parents feel raising a tween/teen is harder than ever before.

I think a future post can be define a tween or teen's need to be independent and what it means for us parents? There are so many issues around this and you could definitely give solutions to busy parents.

You are offering your readers the gift of objectivity, which is largely unvailable unless we pay lots of money to see therapists.

Great service.

Dorit
http://newteacherresourcecenter.blogspot.com