Thursday, August 14, 2008

New Clothes for Back to School


A new school year often brings a big investment in new clothes. Last year's fashions simply will not do, and, chances are, your kids have outgrown them anyway. So how do you keep the costs down come September? Here are a few ideas.

1) Buy clothes that can be mixed and matched. If all your child's tops can go with all his/her jeans, shorts, skirts, etc., you're in business. Pick neutral jackets and shoes that will go with everything.

2) Go through your child's closet before you go shopping. Give away any items that are too small or have never been worn. Try to find clothes that are a perfect fit and that your child really likes, so they don't end up gathering dust in the closet.

3) Give your child a clothing allowance. It will help them decide between clothes they really want and stuff they'd just like to have, but don't really love. It's also good for them to learn to work within a budget.

5 comments:

T. Forehand said...

Good ideas, I just took my granddaughter school shopping and did give her a figure we would stay under. She is only going on six so she is happy with fairly inexpensive things as long as they have sparkles or have pink in them. And she matches well for her age. I got off easy and we had so much fun.

Thanks for the information.

Terri
http://heartfeltwords4kids.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa,

Our kids had a clothing allowance. It really made a huge difference and they started making more careful choices - thus fewer clothes that just sat in the closet or drawer.

Judy
http://www.localfoodconnections.com

Carma Dutra said...

I always hated school shopping with my kids after they passed the age of 10 because I never had enough to buy all they needed. I did learn to spread it out over a period of time.

When they got old enough to work it was a blessing. They bought their own clothes.

Dorit Sasson said...

Hi, Theresa,

I just went through my son's drawer and found good shoes that I otherwise didn't need to buy. Sometimes, we just don't know what we have accumulated. A quick check-in is a great idea.

Thanks for the tips.

Dorit
http://newteacherresourcecenter.blogspot.com

Dorothy Massey said...

Hi Theresa, I love your blogs on back to school clothes and items. My son is about to start secondary school in a few weeks. You asked how I get info about competitions. I get them through magazines and by reading sites relating to writing for children such as write4kids and Storiesfor Children. One site to sign up to is firstwriter.com. For a small fee they send individual alerts by e-mail of competitions, publishers and agents. Hope this is useful. Dorothy Massey