Thursday, March 12, 2009

De-Clutter and De-Stress


Ever notice how calm you feel when your house is in order? Everything is picked up and resting in its proper place, easy to get to when you need it. There are open spaces on the floor, clean countertops, neat bookshelves. You have a sense of serenity when you look around your home, satisfied that all is well.

Now think about how you feel when the house is a mess, clutter everywhere, the papers you need to find right now are in one of many giant stacks of paper lying around, instead of neatly filed away in the cabinet. Your pulse quickens as your stress level rises. It's hard to focus on what you need to get done, because all around you are reminders of the mess you're in.

Yesterday I made a conscious effort to clean away the clutter from my bedroom. I figured I couldn't fault my son for keeping a sloppy room when mine looked no better than his. I pushed myself to keep going, breaking the task up into small segments of time, focusing on one area at a time. At last, it was done, and I felt a tremendous sense of contentment wash over me. Now everytime I walk into that room I am happy, calm, peaceful.

Try it!

3 comments:

T. Forehand said...

Great post, and I listed your site in my spring newsletter. Hope you don't mind.

Warmly,
Terri
http://heartfeltwords4kids.blogspot.com

Theresa Schultz said...

Not at all Terri! Thanks!

Theresa

Carma Dutra said...

Hi Theresa,
What an accomplishment. You are right the key is to break the task up in to small chunks. You have motivated me.

Carma
http://carmaswindows.blogspot.com